What is Network Layer of OSI model?
There are many layers of OSI model as given below
- Application Layer
- Presentation Layer
- Session Layer
- Transport Layer
- Network Layer
- Data-link Layer
- Physical Layer
After data link layer,next layer is network layer.This layer control the operation of sub net.The main task of this layer is to deliver packets from source to destination using multiple networks or links.
Suppose two computers/system are connected on the same link,there is no need for a this layer.It control the signal through different medium/channels.It also act as network controller.
Functions of Network Layer
It translates logical network address into physical address.It also concern with message,circuit or packet switching.Routers and gateways operate in this layer.This layer divides the sending messages into packets.It assemble receiving packets into messages for destinations.
Connection services such as flow control,error control and packet sequence control of network layer.This layer breaks larger packets into small packets.
Problem with Network Layer:
- It is very difficult to determine how packets routes from source to destination.
- There is chance about static table change the routes that are wired into the network.
- The network can be dynamic,for each new packet,this cause reflection of the current network load.
- Suppose many packets are present in the sub net,they can change their way to form bottlenecks.
- This layer also routes the signal through different channels from one computer to other.
You can read all the thing about these layers.You have to click on given post ,you will reached to that topic.Hope it will help you.If any problem you can give us suggestion in comment section.