What are light pen advantages and disadvantages with the working of the light pen?
What is a light pen?
History of a light pen?
Working of a light pen?
light pen advantages and disadvantages.
What is a light pen?
light pen advantages and disadvantages are discussed but first, we read about a light pen. A light pen is a computer input device. It is a light-sensitive computer input device that completely looks like a simple writing pen. It is used to select the text, draw images, and interacts with user interface elements on a monitor or computer screen.
A light pen is quite similar to a mouse except that when using a light pen, you can directly select an object on display screen by moving a pointer on that particular object. The light pen works through CRT(Cathode-Ray-Tube). That is why light pens can work only with CRT-based displays.
The first light pen was created in 1955. In the 1960s light pens were common on graphic terminals. The use of light pen was expanded in the early 1980s to the music work station and personal computer. Light pens are not being used today due to the invention of the touch screen.
Types of a light pen:
On the basis of technology and working, light pen have some types. These types are given below.
- corded light pens
- battery light pens
- design pen
- led light pens
Working of a light pen with diagram:
The light pen detects the changes in the brightness of nearby pixels. It indicates that CRT’s electron beam is scanning in that area. It sends the timing of this particular event to the computer. The computer then compares this information to the timestamp of the last scan by the electron beam, allowing the computer to infer the precise location of the pen.
light pen advantages and disadvantages:
Everything has advantages and disadvantages. So here are light pen advantages and disadvantages.
Advantages of a light pen:
Here you can read the advantages of a light pen, as given below:
- The light pen allows you to select any object on the display screen directly.
- The light pen does not need any screen coating
- A light pen is very useful for fine selection and drawing.
- A light pen is accurate as it draws directly on the display screen.
- The implementation of a light pen is very simple and easy.
- A light pen is very easy to use.
- The light pen is more reliable than a touch screen.
- The light pen takes very small space due to its small size.
- There is a direct relationship between hand Light pen which makes movement more accurate.
- The light pen is small in size.
- The light pens are available in different colors.
Disadvantages of a light pen
- A light pen requires picking it to use.
- Light pen requires moving the hand far from the keyboard to use.
- It is very difficult to use a light pen when working for a long period of time.
- The light pen works only with CRT based screens.
- The light pen does not work with LCD screens.
- The light pen works on detecting the brightness.
- The light pen gives false results if the lighting in a room is detected.
- A light pen is not very accurate while drawing.
- A light pen is sensitive to dust that can interfere with IR beams.
As you read about, What are light pen advantages and disadvantages with the working of the light pen? You can read more about the given below link.