What are the advantages and disadvantages of hard disk?
What is a Hard Disk?
Components of Hard Disk
The size of Hard Disk
advantages and disadvantages of hard disk
advantages of hard disk
disadvantages of hard disk
What is a Hard Disk?
Hard Disk is a short form of “hard disk drive”. The term hard drive refers to the actual disks inside of the drive. however, the terms “Hard Disk”, “hard disk drive”, and “hard drive” are seen as referring to the same thing. It is a non-volatile memory hardware device. It is used to retrieve and store the data permanently on a computer.
It is a secondary storage device and consists of one or more platters. Using a magnetic head, data is written on these platters. All the computers have Hard Disks installed in them. These are used in storing the files for the operating system, software programs, and user’s personal files. If a Hard Disk is not installed on the computer, it cannot function.
Components of Hard Disk:
A Hard Disk consists of the following components: head actuator, read/write actuator arm, read/write head, spindle, and platter. There is a circuit board on the backside of Hard Disk, called a disk controller or interface board. It allows the Hard Disk to communicate with the computer.
What Hard Disk stores?
Hard Disk can be used to store any type of data including images, music, videos, text documents or any other files downloaded or created. Hard Disk can also store files for the operating system and software program that runs on the computer.
The size of Hard Disk:
The size of Hard Disk can vary depending on the type of drive and its age. Each year, new and approved technology is allowing to increase the storage size of Hard Disks. Previously Hard Disks could store data in several megabytes to several gigabytes. Newer Hard Disks can store data in several hundred gigabytes to several terabytes.
Diagram of Hard disk:
Here you can see the internal structure of a hard disk. There are many parts of hard disk
- Read/write Heads
- Power Supply
Advantages and Disadvantages of hard disk:
In the previous topic, we tell you about hardware. But here we are going to tell you about the advantages and disadvantages of hard disk as shown here.
Advantages of Hard Disk:
- Its performance is very high.
- It offers a large storage capacity.
- The stored items are not lost if the computer is shut down.
- It is fixed inside the computer so, cannot be lost.
- It works faster.
- It is light in weight.
- Computers can communicate with them easily.
- It can store data like text documents, pictures, videos, etc.
- It can also store operating system files and software related files.
- It sizes very small.
- It is portable in use.
Disadvantages of Hard Disk:
Now you can see am7s is providing you disadvantages of a hard disk.
- It is expensive.
- It is slower than IAS.
- If hard disk crashes, the computer will not work.
- You lose your work if the hard disk crashes/ damages.
- In the case of hard disk failure, the recovery of data is very difficult.
- If it eventually fails, the computer stops working at the same moment.
- Regular “head” can crash and damage the surface of the disk.
- The disk is fixed inside the computer so, it cannot be transferred to another computer
As you study about the advantages and disadvantages of hard disk. I hope you like our article. There are many others as given below for computer information.